‘Leave no stone unturned’ might just sound like one of those sayings that your grandparents tell you, but when it comes to finding a graduate job it might just be sound advice.
We asked past GradLink students what advice they would give current students… and it’s all about making sure you ‘take the bull by the horns’ (that’s another one!) and not letting opportunities pass you by.
There are their pearls of wisdom!
- Apply for everything you are even remotely interested in, anything is a start!
- Speak to everyone you meet and use every opportunity; these people are your future employers, colleagues, networks, consultants and general contacts.
- Never underestimate the power of networking.
- Put your hand up for every opportunity that comes your way – including GradLink.
- Employers value “on-farm” or practical job experience, get as much as you can.
- Speak to people that work in the areas you think you are interested in, not just the HR departments. Find out what they actually do.
- Keep in mind you will start at the bottom and be prepared to work to the top. A degree buys you a start, not a career.
- Be prepared to start learning, you learn more on the job that in uni. The biggest thing you will need to learn is how to work with people as part of a team and how to deal with all the stakeholders in the chain.
- Don’t worry if you can’t find a start in the area you want to be in, start somewhere you will always be able to move across. You first job is a stepping stone.
- Give anything a go.